Sunday, February 1, 2009

How do you handle disappointment?

If my life were a battlefield, it would be littered with deep craters made by explosions of frustration, shrapnels of self-pity, and dead dreams with pools of dried blood everywhere.
Well so far I'm still here breathing in air like any other human being out there, all my faculties are intact as well. I can't complain actually, however, there are some instances when you just have to ask, "why did it have to happen?" Most of the time the answer doesn't come to you immediately, sometimes we only realize it when it's already too late. Well as they say, life is what you make it. I have learned to face life with a smile and a steady heart, knowing that whatever hurdle that comes my way will make me stronger and wiser. "Pain and suffering is inevitable, being miserable is optional", so true... But we really can't control life. When life thinks that you forgot about her she's going to make you remember, and remember you will. A simple jolt can leave you gasping for breath like a goldfish out of water. *sighs* Whichever way we look at life, we will always be faced with disappointments, we can never really prepare for what's in store for us. So the next best thing to do is - don't expect too much, hope is different from expectation. When we hope, we know that the outcome can either go our way or not. Expectation on the other hand is setting a clear image of what you whant to happen, people who do this is really asking for disappointment to bite them in the ______(another term for donkey).

At an early age, when I was supposed to be still blissfully unaware of how the "real" world works, I was made to realize one of the facts of life - disappointment. My mother and father separated when I was eight years old. Tears where pointless, when you're a kid living in the adult world you feel so powerless no matter how you try to change the things around you. This is what happened with me, I desperately wanted to grow older, to grow big and strong so as to have my voice heard over the grown-ups. Nothing happened of course, I was still a kid, ignorant and dependent on his mother.

There was once a point in our lives when we dream, not the dreams we have now that we're old about material things like a house and lot, cell phone, or car, real dreams that are the stuff of legends. Paulo Coelho wrote about it in "The Alchemist", our so called "personal legends", just to set an example mind you. I once had a dream, I once dreamt of becoming a scientist and I would invent things that would make life easier for people. I started taking my toys apart, just to see how they worked. Time passed by, days became weeks, weeks bacame months, months became years. Slowly I grew up, physically my wish of becoming taller came true, mentally, however, I was still the same kid but my eyes were open. I can now see malice, pervertion, greed, lust, pride, almost every sin known to man. Knowing these things almost hardened my heart, but when I feel like I've seen too much - I just walk away. Walking away is not cowardice, as long as you come back. Just give yourself enough time to recuperate from being desensitized by society.
Our dreams are always there in storage, we only need to have the courage to open them, and if lucky enough see them through to the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment